/dev/usb/lp0 disappeared after upgrade
Camaleón
2011-07-17 10:40:39 UTC
I recently did a big upgrade on Sid after a year.
This seemed to go off OK but now I cannot print from my usb printer. I
get 'Cannot open /dev/usb/lp0 -No such file or directory'
My scanner, also usb, does work.
lsusb does not show the printer, even after rebooting.
Googling shows some peopls with similar errors but nothing helpful. I
suspect udev may be at fault but not sure how to fix it. Any
suggestions?
USB is now managed automagically by udev so most sure your printer is now
located "somewhere beyond the see" :-)

Try by re-plugging the printer and check for dmesg messages. If you are
using CUPS, let it to auto-discover the printer's location.

Greetings,
--
Camaleón
Anthony Campbell
2011-07-17 12:04:58 UTC
Post by Camaleón
I recently did a big upgrade on Sid after a year.
This seemed to go off OK but now I cannot print from my usb printer. I
get 'Cannot open /dev/usb/lp0 -No such file or directory'
My scanner, also usb, does work.
lsusb does not show the printer, even after rebooting.
Googling shows some peopls with similar errors but nothing helpful. I
suspect udev may be at fault but not sure how to fix it. Any
suggestions?
USB is now managed automagically by udev so most sure your printer is now
located "somewhere beyond the see" :-)
Try by re-plugging the printer and check for dmesg messages. If you are
using CUPS, let it to auto-discover the printer's location.
Greetings,
--
Camaleón
Thanks to both for replies. The printer is now being detected according
to dmesg but I can't see where it is attached. (I am not usiing CUPS and
would only do so as a last resort!

The relevant portion of dmesg is:

2925.412931] usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 2925.412936] usb 1-2: Product: Samsung ML-2570 Series
[ 2925.412941] usb 1-2: Manufacturer: Samsung
[ 2925.412945] usb 1-2: SerialNumber: 3W37BKAQ610114P
[ 2925.891211] usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 8 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04E8 pid 0x327C
[ 2925.891229] usbcore: registered new interface driver usblp

So it's there soewhere, but where?

Anthony
--
Anthony Campbell - ***@acampbell.org.uk
http://www.acampbell.org.uk - sample my ebooks
Anthony Campbell
2011-07-17 12:17:20 UTC
On 17 Jul 2011, Anthony Campbell wrote:

Sorry to follow up to myself, but I've now found that the printer is, in
fact, at /dev/usb/lp0, which it should be; but the permissions seem to
be wrong because although I can cat files to that address as root and
they are printed, I can't print as user.

Anthony
Anthony Campbell
2011-07-17 12:42:42 UTC
On 17 Jul 2011, Anthony Campbell wrote:

Once more apologies, but I fixed things in the end by reinstalling
lprng. I suppose it had got corrupted recently.

Thanks again Maderios and Camaleon.

Anthony